What Are Commercial Energy Performance Certificate Assessors And Why Is This Matter Critical Now?

What Are Commercial Energy Performance Certificate Assessors And Why Is This Matter Critical Now?


Decisions, decisions! Our lives are packed with them, from the small and ordinary, like what to wear, to the life-changing, such as what Commercial Energy Performance Certificate Assessors to invest in.

Owners of Commercial Property whether letting or selling require a valid Commercial (non domestic) Energy Performance certificate for their property. The certificate provides detailed information on the energy performance in a non-domestic property. Regardless of the size of your business, our fully qualified energy performance assessors are available to inspect your commercial property and provide you with a valid EPC if your business meets the required standards. Storage heaters are cheaper to run, making use of low rate night-time electricity. However, the total amount of electricity used by storage heaters are higher than that of conventional panel heaters. So, while energy efficiency is improved due to low running costs, high energy use worsens the environmental impact. Usually, storage heaters are recommended in EPC suggestions. Non Domestic Energy Assessors NDEA is the broad term given to the people qualified to carry out the Energy Inspection on Commercial Premises, the NDEA person may be a Property Surveyor or Consultant who has further trained up, passed the exams and registered. In April 2018, new legislation known as Minimum Energy Performance Standards (MEPS), also known as Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) came into force making it unlawful to let a property with an EPC rating of F or G. An EPC is an Energy Performance Certificate that contains information about a property’s energy efficiency. It rates the property from A to G, with A being the most energy efficient and G being the least. EPC surveys are carried out by EPC assessors in England, Wales and Northern Ireland and Domestic Energy Assessors in Scotland. Once completed, your Energy Performance Certificate is valid for 10 years. When your domestic EPC assessor visits the property, they will look at a number of factors in order to determine the energy-efficiency of the property – and give it an ‘energy rating’. The assessor will need to have access to every part of the property to be able to carry out the assessment properly.

Commercial Energy Performance Certificate Assessors

The average house emits around six tonnes of CO2 per year, refurbishment will often bring this rate down considerably. Whether it be carbon reduction, fuel savings or energy efficiency overall, an EPC can tell you where you building is rated now, with good recommendations tailored to your own property for how to improve its rating. People looking to buy or rent are starting to take EPC ratings into consideration. A more energy efficient property means cheaper bills for those living in the property, and happy tenants are more likely to pay their rent on time! It also means less work for property developers if you ever come to sell. Therefore, if you’re looking to sell or rent out your property, it’s worthwhile making sure it has the best chance of a good rating. All potential tenants and buyers are legally entitled to see this information before making any decisions. The price of energy is one of the key drivers of the cost-of-living crisis, so knowing what you can do to improve the energy rating of your home can save money in the short term. It also has the potential to make your property more desirable when you come to sell. An energy performance certificate measures how efficiently a property uses energy and gives you an idea of how much it will cost to heat and power a property. Landlords must provide an energy performance certificate (no older than 10 years) to prospective tenants so they can see the energy consumption for the property they're thinking of renting. Tenants must also receive a copy of the certificate when they take up a tenancy. Research around epc commercial property remains patchy at times.

Recommending Actions To Achieve MEES Requirements

Every property is rated between grades A and G, where A is the most energy-efficient, and G is the least energy-efficient. An EPC also carries recommendations on how a property owner can improve the energy efficiency of a home and the estimated energy costs. It has a validity of 10 years. Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) include information about the property’s energy use and costs as well as recommendations about how to make a home more energy efficient and cheaper to run. Properties are ranked from A to G, A being the most energy efficient. As of April 2018 properties ranked F or G will not be allowed to be let to tenants. As such rating will be especially important to landlords looking to buy a property to let. MEES, or Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards, are minimum requirements for EPC ratings enforced by the government. These regulations are being extended in April 2023. From April 2023, UK landlords will not be able to grant or renew a policy for a tenant if their commercial property has an EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) rating of F or lower. Fines for continuing to let a property from this date will amount to a minimum of £5,000, up to £150,000. Improving your EPC Rating, is likely to increase your properties value. Studies by the UK government Department of Energy Climate Change, and by MyMoneySupermarket have both shown how having a higher EPC can improve the value of a home. In fact, the average English home could increase in value by up to 14%, if improved from a G rating to D! Poorly insulated roofs and walls can have a massive impact on the EPC rating. Landlords should consider adding insulation to solid brick or metal-clad properties, especially where there are cavity walls. Old HVAC plant and equipment can be a significant factor in energy emissions. Effective solutions include the installation of more efficient boilers, variable-speed heating and cooling pumps and high-efficiency chillers A team of Energy Assessors and Chartered Surveyors are uniquely placed to give advice on commercial epc and provide a complete energy consultancy service.

An EPC will show the assets rating for the building – a theoretical value for how much energy / CO2 the building will consume / emit. It will also give a list of recommendations to reduce the running costs and emissions. Properties can only be rented if they have an energy rating of A, B, C, D or E. If you’re currently renting and your property has a higher EPC rating, you might be paying more than you need to in energy bills. If your EPC is higher than it should be, you could miss out on Government energy grants that are only available for properties with an EPC rating of D, E, F or G. A commercial premises has a much greater thirst for energy during the working day – not only powering the heating system, but also powering mechanical ventilation and cooling. The key is to have an energy efficient building that isn’t expensive to run, because if you are based in London where business rates and rent is high, this can push you over the edge. EPCs are produced using standard methods about energy usage so that the energy efficiency of one building can easily be compared with another building of the same type. This allows prospective buyers, tenants, owners, and occupiers to see and compare information on the energy efficiency and carbon emissions from a building, so they can consider energy efficiency and fuel costs as part of their investment decision. While there are currently no laws on the rating your home must have before you sell it, this might been changing. For example, in April 2018, it was announced that, legally, all rented properties must have an energy rating of at least E. Unless the landlord takes action to improve the energy efficiency rating within the space of three months, they may face a fine of up to 20% of the property’s rateable value. An understanding of the challenges met by non domestic epc register can enhance the value of a project.

EPC Awareness

Only approximately 15% of the current building stock in the UK was built after 1990, which is when standards for insulation and energy efficiency were brought in, and therefore the majority of homes will require improvement work to bring them to the standard needed to achieve net zero emissions. Energy Performamce Certificates are available from one of the approximately 7000 qualified domestic energy assessors (DEA’s) that have been recruited to handle the work. The Government estimates they should cost around £100 but in reallity you can probably get one for around £50. MEES compliance is first and foremost the obligation of landlords, who will usually bear the cost (unless any leases include express provision for tenants to carry out such works or for cost allocation within the service charge). However, tenants who wish to sub-let their premises may also be on the hook for compliance costs, where those premises do not currently have a rating of 'E' or above. All non-domestic EPC’s must be performed by an accredited Low Carbon Energy Assessor and lodged on a central register. The Low Carbon Energy Assessor is also required to visit the site to verify the installation reflects the as-built information. After the survey, and on receipt of all as-built information, the EPC can then be lodged on the central register and will be issued. An EPC will state what the rating could be if you made recommended improvements to the property – this may even be as simple as switching to more energy-efficient light bulbs. A well-thought-out strategy appertaining to mees can offer leaps and bounds in improvements.

If you have no idea where to start when it comes to reducing your energy efficiency, energy costs and how to make your home more green, an energy consultant could be the next step for you. Energy consultants are often brought in to developments to help companies and occupants identify where their energy efficiency needs improving and what next steps they need to take to make their energy consumption greener. Since 2018, minimum energy efficiency standards (MEES) must be met before commercial property can be let in England and Wales. Different requirements apply for Scottish properties. MEES requirements also apply to residential properties, though these are outside the scope of this article. The new government has now suspended the Home Information Pack which did include an EPC for potential buyers.The EPC in the HIP was valid for 3 years but this has now changed to a standalone EPC for a home that's put up for sale is now valid for 10 years. Energy prices are rising and likely to continue to do so in the long term. Improving the energy efficiency of your home now will reduce the impact of this on your energy bills for years to come. What’s more around 21% of UK carbon dioxide emissions come from domestic energy use. So reducing the amount of energy we use at home is critical for tackling climate change. Since 1 April 2020, The Energy Efficiency (Private Rented Property) (England and wales) Regulations 2015 require that, subject to certain exemptions, all domestic private rented sector landlords in scope improve their properties to a minimum energy efficiency standard of Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) Band E. There are multiple approaches to facilitating a mees regulations in the workplace.

The Golden Rule

An EPC is required in the UK whenever a property is marketed for sale or rent or is newly built. The EPC is valid for 10 years or until a newer EPC is produced for the same property. It is recommended that a property's EPC should be made available to potential buyers as soon as it is marketed for sale or rent. Some properties are exempt from the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards. If your property is listed or protected and the improvements would unacceptably alter it, it is exempt from EPC requirements. An energy assessment for a non-dwelling must be carried out by an energy assessor who is a current member of an accreditation scheme. Energy assessors can be selfemployed, employees of service organisations, such as surveyors or energy companies, or employees of the landlord or owner. You can get extra particulars relating to Commercial Energy Performance Certificate Assessors in this UK Government Website link.

Related Articles:

Background Information About Non-Domestic EPC Contractors
More Findings On Fully Accredited Commercial Energy Assessors
Background Findings About Commercial EPC Assessors
Additional Information About Non-Domestic EPC Assessors
Background Findings About Commercial Energy Performance Contractors
Further Information On Professionally Qualified Domestic Energy Assessors
Supplementary Information About Commercial Energy Performance Certificate Assessors